Sunday, January 20, 2008

Obsessing Over My Children

Glad you all got it and enjoyed it. My craziness may also show in my obsession with my (fantastic) children. That picture on my first post was of my (crazy) daughter. Here's another question: Am I crazy if I anticipate problems with my children, when there are none evident?

Turnaround

Here she comes.
Sticky with popsicle residue – human flypaper
Filthy feet fly, legs pump their scabby knees closer
Fingers coated with dirt and God-knows-what
Pure sensation wrapped in slime, dust, and bacteria
And what is that smell?
Joyful sparkle in the eye
Running toward mother’s love

Wash up before you jump on me!

There she goes.
Painstakingly coiffed tresses
Lean, tanned arm terminating in manicured nails
Healthy, scrubbed cheeks
Tinted lips
Each lovely toe tipped with sapphire
Seen in profile, gliding out the door into the night
A last cool glance, wave of the hand

Wait! If I let you roll in mud, will you sit on my lap?


Does anyone else dread the day when their kids won't hug them anymore?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great mom. It permeates every word that you write. Your first segment describes my daughter to a tee!

Every parent has the fear of losing their children and being left alone. I am here to tell you that they are groundless. Our children live in Japan, New Orleans, and Lawton (had to have one OKIE!) and we are as close to them as ever. Oh, yes we still get hugs!